I WISH and IF ONLY explanation

I WISH and IF ONLY

GRAMMAR EXPLANATION
¬WISHES about present events: WISH + past simple
I am not very tall . I wish I were taller
My father only speaks Spanish. He wishes he spoke English or French
¬WISHES about past events: WISH + past perfect
We couldn't attend the meeting. We wish we had attended the meeting.
I rained so hard that the party was cancelled. I wish it hadn't rained
¬WISHES about future events or annoying habits: WISH + would/could
He leaves his clothes on the floor and his room is a mess. I wish he wouldn't do that.
Mr. Urban wants to have an interview with you. He wishes you would meet him next week
¬IF ONLY is used to make emphatic wishes:
I can't restart the computer. If only I knew how to fix it! (for present events)
We are completely lost. If only you had brought your GPS! (for past events)

REMEMBER: You can also use the negative forms didn't, hadn't, wouldn't, and couldn't.

posted under , , |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

Teacher Valeria
View my complete profile
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

    Translate


Recent Comments